It’s ‘balik kampung’ time again when everyone in your family has already packed his/her things well ready to return to your hometown to celebrate Adilfitri with relatives and friends. It would be the best moments of the year and we don’t want any mistake or negligence ruining this festive moments. Therefore, there are a few necessary steps to be taken before leaving your house and setting off for your journey back to your hometown.
Below is a simple checklist for you to tick off before you leave your house:
- Uninstall all electrical equipment (to prevent short circuit)
- Turn off the gas stove (to prevent fire)
- Close all windows (so that rain cannot get into your house and small animals as well)
Car check (to avoid break downs or accidents):
- Braking system is working well
- Engine oil is filled
- All lights (front, rear, brake & signal) are functioning
- Tires are inflated to the recommended pressure – 220kPa/30PSI (for spare tire – 420kPa/60PSI)
While on the road, be patient and not to hurry yourself, especially when traffic jam occurs. It’s important to bear in mind that driving safely, steadily and be late is very much better than driving fast but putting you and your family vulnerable to road accidents. It is wise to obey to the instructions of the Traffic Police.
Always drive on the left lane and even after overtaking. It is dangerous to stay on the right lane or middle lane when you’re not overtaking any cars. Don’t forget to look at your side mirror and use the indicator (signal light) when overtaking.
Last but not least, drivers must be extremely alert while driving. If you feel tired or uncomfortable, stop by at the nearest R&R stations for some rest and refreshments. Don’t ever think ‘tak apa lah, aku boleh tahan’, It’s okay to stop for a while and reach late than driving in the state of drowsiness. After all, what we matter most is to reach our kampung safely and unite with our friends and relatives to celebrate Adilfitri.
Just in case anything happen where you might need help on the road, you can call these toll free numbers:
- AmInsurance (Kurnia Auto Assist) – 1800-883-833
- Liberty (Uni Asia) – 1 800-88-5005
- Zurich – 1300-886-222
- PLUSLine (North South Expressway) 1800-88-0000
- PRIMELine (East Coast Expressway) 09-5479 111
- Rakan Cop 03-2115 9999
- POLICE / AMBULANCE / Fire & Rescue Dept 999